THE BOOK STARTUP | GROUP WORKSHOP
with Jennie Nash
SEPTEMBER 21, 2015
SIX WEEKS TO TAKE YOUR BOOK IDEA FROM FUZZY TO FABULOUS SO YOU CAN WRITE FORWARD WITH CLARITY AND CONFIDENCE
I rarely recommend writing courses or instructors but I wholeheartedly recommend Jennie Nash. I feel so strongly about the work she does that I am jumping up and down to say, "TAKE HER CLASS."
Jennie is my own personal book coach. She helps me with everything I write, and with much of the business of being a writer.
She is particular gifted at the very beginning steps of writing a book -- which is NOT just about the story, but about the audience, the market, the competition, your strengths and weaknesses as a writer, and your own motivation. T
his workshop offers everything you need to get started the right way, and I'm not kidding when I say that it will save you YEARS of frustration.
That is true whether you are writing fiction, memoir or non-fiction.
I believe so strongly in what Jennie is doing that I am going to be a guest lecturer in the course. I will jump in on the day Jennie talks about where to start your book, and you can ask me all your specific questions.
I believe so strongly in what Jennie is doing that I am pleased to be offering her Book Startup group workshop on an affiliate basis -- which means I will receive a portion of the fee if you sign up. I have literally never made an offer like this before, but I know you are going to be thrilled.
Convinced? Grab the special $499 pricing right now. That's more than 20% off the regular price of $650!!
Note that there are no payment plans and no refunds once class begins -- since the whole class will be available to you immediately.
If you want to make sure the class is right for you, jump in on the FREE webinar Jennie is offering leading up to the course:
FREE WEBINAR : September 11
In this webinar, Jennie will dig into three critical questions every writer needs to ask BEFORE they start to write.
WHY ARE YOU EVEN BOTHERING TO WRITE A BOOK?
WHO IS YOUR AUDIENCE AND WHAT DO THEY NEED?
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR IDEA IS ANY GOOD?
HERE IS A DESCRIPTION OF THE COURSE ITSELF -- STRAIGHT FROM JENNIE
The Book Startup was designed for writers who feel GREAT about their idea but NERVOUS about the book writing process.
- And YES that means writers who have not written a single word about their great idea.
- It means writers who have blogged about their idea for years but never dared do anything more.
- It means writers who have started and stopped more times than they can count (and they have the drafts to prove it!)
- It means writers who started strong, got most of the way through and when they spied "the end" got chicken.
- It means writers who have already written books but for some reason are stuck on THIS one.
- In other words....
IT MEANS YOU!
Join us and let's give your passion some direction.
WHAT DO PEOPLE SAY ABOUT THE BOOK STARTUP?
“Thank you for offering this wonderful vehicle for people like me to work toward their dreams. I’m certainly getting incredibly useful feedback and encouragement and I couldn’t be happier!”— Anne Elefante
“Thanks for the great coaching. I will definitely spread word of this program. It’s transformed how I write for the better.”— John Robin
“I have been working on this story in one form or another since 2008. There were several moments I really wanted to throw it out and start something new, because I could see what it could become, but just couldn’t bring that vision to life. This process, and your feedback in particular, allowed me reclaim to my story, achieve clarity, and accomplish more in the last 4 months than I managed on my own in the last 5 years.” — Nicole Duarte
WHY YOU NEED THE BOOK STARTUP
I know how it's been for you and your book idea. You've been talking about it forever, dreaming about it forever. You may have even taken some workshops, signed up for some classes, read a bunch of books on how to write a book — but it still isn't happening.
- It feels so overwhelming.
- It feels so frightening.
- It feels like you really better wait until the kids are grown or the promotion comes through or the planets are aligned with Jupiter.
Don't wait. Because it's not going to get any better.
That book idea is going to haunt you. It's going to keep its icy fingers around your throat. It's not going to let you go.
"THERE IS NO GREATER AGONY THAN BEARING AN UNTOLD STORY INSIDE YOU." — MAYA ANGELOU
THE BOOK STARTUP
will give you the confidence to know exactly what to write instead of floundering around in doubt
THE BOOK STARTUP
will give you the clarity to envision your book on the shelf. Being able to SEE it means being able to make it happen.
THE BOOK STARTUP
will give you an action plan so that you know exactly what to do next to start writing, and keep writing, until you get to "the end."
NUTS & BOLTS OF THE PROGRAM
- Once you pay, we will reserve your spot for you.
- The entire course is available the moment the class begins on September 21, so you have access to all the videos and all the lessons and all the assignments. You can blast through them all on a couple Saturday morning, or chip away at them one per night. It's up to you how you move through the material. Some assignments are h-a-r-d and take a lot of thought and attention. Others are not so hard. So how you move through the material depends on your time and energy.
- You'll get an online workbook where you can keep all your assignments, revise them, refer back to them -- and at the end, send them in to your editor for review.
- There is room in the classroom for you to post your assignments if you'd like to share them with other students, or have Jennie possibly jump in to comment.
- The Office Hour Calls with Jennie will be recorded so if you can't make the call, you can send in your questions ahead of time and hear her reply on the call. I recommend being "up to speed" when the Office Hour calls happen so you know what everyone is talking about.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN EACH WEEK
WEEK 1: WHY WRITE THIS BOOK?
- 1 HOUR GROUP PHONE CALL WITH JENNIE NASH
- Stepping back to look at your motivation is a powerful first step in laying a strong foundation for your book.
- Will self publishing or traditional publishing be the path best suited to your goals?
- When can you commit to finishing a rough draft?
- Who can you turn to for support?
WEEK 2: WHAT IS YOUR STRUCTURE?
- 1 HOUR GROUP PHONE CALL WITH SPECIAL GUEST LISA CRON, AUTHOR OF WIRED FOR STORY.
- For Fiction – What’s your story really about? Who is your protagonist? What is his/her driving desire? What is standing in his/her way internally? What about externally? Is there narrative drive? What is the time frame of the story? What POV would be best to tell the tale? What is the arc of your story?
- For Non-fiction (memoir) – What’s your argument/point/story? Where does the story start and why? Where does it end and why? Where do you (the narrator) stand in time? What are you willing to leave out? What is the time frame of the story? Why would anyone care about what you have to say (or how are you going to make it universal?)
- For Non-fiction (self-help, how to) -- What is your argument/point? What narrative structure best suits your material? How present are you, the narrator? What does your two-tier Table of Contents look like? What is the best template for your chapter?
WEEK 3: DEVELOPING YOUR AUTHOR PLATFORM
- 1 HOUR OFFICE HOURS PHONE CALL WITH JENNIE NASH
- Who is your ideal reader? We'll get to know them in detail.
- Where can you connect with your ideal reader?
- How can you connect in a way that is authentic to you?
- What is your competition?
- What is your plan for working on marketing elements while you write your book?
- What can you do NOW to lay the groundwork for success?
WEEK 4: WRITING YOUR FIRST CHAPTER OR INTRODUCTION
- First Chapter/Introduction – Is your voice and tone suitable for the story? Is the story on the page? Are you hooking your reader from the very first sentence? Nail down these things from the start and you'll have a template for writing the entire rest of the book.
WEEK 5: WRITING YOUR LAST CHAPTER
- Last Chapter – What are you aiming for in your narrative arc (fiction) or your argument (non-fiction)? Have you identified a satisfying conclusion? Nail down the conclusion right away and you'll have a clear target to aim towards as you write.
WEEK 6: REFLECTION AND REVISION
- 1 HOUR OFFICE HOURS PHONE CALL WITH JENNIE NASH
- Revise all your assignments and turn your online workbook in for review.
- Writing Strategy – What are the writing habits that will sustain you?
- Doubt -- What is likely to derail you and how can we prevent that?
- Support – Who can help you with your goals and objectives?
EDITING & FEEDBACK
- An editor I have handpicked for you will review everything -- your idea, your presentation, your project plan, your opening and closing chapter.
- Within one week, you'll receive a summary, notes on your pages, and a customized plan for what to do next.
WHAT'S SO AWESOME ABOUT THE GROUP WORKSHOP?
- You get 10 videos, 36 lessons, a 10-page workbook and a dedicated classroom for this workshop so you can share work with other students who are serious about their book ideas and learn from them as you go. The class size is kept small on purpose so you can meet each other and support each other as you go.
- Jennie's normal hourly rate is $250/hour and in the group class, you get her for THREE HOURS of Q&A (and if truth be told, Jennie's hour-long Q&As usually go much longer than an hour. She tries to answer questions until there's not a raised hand in the virtual room.)
- Jennie will dip into the classroom from time to time to see how everyone's doing and put her eyes on student work so everyone can learn from her feedback. (No guarantees on which students she'll edit or how often she'll show up, but she loves this stuff! She usually can't stay away!)
- The line editing you'll get from Jennie's editorial team would normally cost $400. You'll get the service as part of your fee.
“You taught me how to write a book. You nudged me gently, firmly and resolutely to the real story, the one I was afraid to tell, the only one that mattered. ‘Thank you’ doesn’t even begin to cover the depth of my gratitude, but it’s a good place to start.”— Kate Spencer, Smoke: A Memoir
“Working with you is a good feeling, like having a lighthouse blinking advice illuminating the best path to follow, avoiding nasty pitfalls.”— Chris Wenzel
“I got so much done knowing that someone in the universe cared and wanted me to write. Funny what a difference that can make.” — Julie Scorziell
“I have accomplished more in one month of doing the Author Accelerator program than I have in nearly a decade of taking workshops, writing classes and participating in writer’s groups in an effort to get my book on the page. Thank you so much for this feedback. I FINALLY feel like I’m on the right track and it feels AMAZING.” — Gina Bardin
IS THE BOOK STARTUP RIGHT FOR YOU?
JOIN THE FREE WEBINAR ON SEPTEMBER 11 AND START ASKING THE QUESTIONS WE'LL TACKLE IN THIS WORKSHOP